The application process to the residency is exceptionally carried out with a continuous admission process.
You can currently apply for residency for the Autumn period of 15.8. - 31.12.2021.
We process applications once every two weeks.
The application should have a short resume and work plan, which should include the desired dates for the residency. The period of residency can be up to 12 weeks.
The application should include the following:
- Name/s as shown on passport
- Contact information (email, phone number, home address)
- Birth date
- Your potential membership as a community member (see list below)
The applications with attachments in pdf. format should be sent to hakemukset[a]villakaro.org.
Cultural and social science professionals, artists and researchers can apply for a residency in Villa Karo. The residency is suitable for both one’s own research and artistic work as well as community projects. Ideally, if a resident could also offer something to the local community.
The staff at Villa Karo will help you with getting contacts and organising your work.
Avecs, with the age limit of 16 years are also welcome to join the residency. Their name and contact details must be provided before the start of the residency.
Applications will be evaluated by a separate panel. Decisions are not explained to the applicants.
The residency given by Villa Karo covers:
- airport transfers Cotonou/Lomé – Grand-Popo – Cotonou/Lomé
- resident room, breakfast, cleaning, laundry and Wi-Fi connection in Villa Karo for a weekly rent of EUR 75
- assistance and support both in planning your trip and in Benin
The resident’s own costs are:
- travel expenses to Benin
- EUR 75 weekly rent and EUR 100 Weekly rent with an avec
- compulsory COVID-19 testing on arrival and departure from Benin
- visa and travel insurance
- antimalarials and vaccinations (yellow fever vaccination is compulsory for all arrivals)
- hotel nights in Cotonou on arrival in Benin (approx. EUR 15-50)
- possible excursions with Villa Karo and your own excursions
- large-scale interpretation services (eg. for own work)
Association of Finnish Non-fiction Writers
Finnish Association of Architects
Lallukka's Artist Residency
Ornamo Art and Design Finland
The Finnish Artists' Studio Foundation
The Society of Finnish Composers
The Society of Swedish Authors in Finland
The Union of Finnish Writers
Trade Union for Theatre and Media Finland TEME
University of the Arts Helsinki
University of Turku
Writers Guild of Finland
- In which language should the application be written?
-> The work plan can be written in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- How long can the residency be?
-> Villa Karo's residency periods are up to 12 weeks. Residency periods longer than this are not granted.
- How long should the application or work plan be?
-> Not too long.
- Could I get help with finding partners?
-> You can if you are selected for residency.
- Can I complete the application after sending it?
-> You should prepare everything at once.
- Can I bring an avec to the residency? Should it appear in the application?
-> Avecs are welcome and can be announced at a later stage. Age limit 16 years.
Living conditions in Benin and Villa Karo are described in more detail in Villa Karon's ABC book, which can be ordered from Villa Karon's Helsinki office (15e, incl. Map of Grand-Popo).